Dr. Burns provides ilux treatment in Louisville Kentucky.
Real Dry Eye Relief Can Be Yours!
Experience relief from symptoms such as dryness and irritation caused by Meibomian Gland Dysfunction.
Take control and treat MGD with confidence!
Talk to Dr. Frank Burns today about improving your symptoms associated with Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD) / dry eye. We use the latest technology called iLUX® to heat and compress glands in the eyelids of adult patients with a specific type of dry eye, called evaporative dry eye, which is caused by Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD).
WHAT IS MGD?
Every time you blink, a protective layer of moisture called the tear film coats the front surface of your eye. An essential part of the tear film is an oily layer called meibum. MGD occurs when the meibomian glands that produce meibum get blocked or the secreted meibum is of poor quality and the aqueous part of the tears evaporate, as there is no oily layer to protect them.
If you regularly use drops, have symptoms such as eye dryness and irritation, ask Dr. Burns to evaluate your symptoms. He will evaluate the quality of meibum by pressing on the eyelids to see how easily the meibum is expressed from the glands and to assess the quality of the meibum that is able to be expressed. If healthy, the meibum is clear and the amount expressed is adequate. The more severe the blockage, the thicker and cloudier the meibum is and the harder it is to express.
How Does the Treatment Work?
- Burns assesses your eyelids to determine the treatment zones.
- Your eyelid is held between the soft, biocompatible pads of the iLUX® device Smart Tip Patient Interface. For comfort, you may keep your eyes closed.
- Therapeutic, light-based heat will begin to warm the blocked glands to a safe temperature to help soften and release the oil. The meibum melts and Dr. Burns has the ability to apply additional heat or pressure dependent on your needs.
- Through compression, the oil is expressed from the glands and treatment is complete.
- Following the iLUX® treatment, Dr. Burns will place a silicone punctal plug in the lower punctum of each eyelid which will prevent the outflow of tears from the eyes.
- You will be treated with a mild steroid drop for 2 weeks along with an eyelid cleanser called Avenova® which cleanses the lids with Hypochlorous Acid in order to rejuvenate your eyes.
> 30 Million people in the US suffer from dry eye symptoms
> Treatment takes approximately 8-12 minutes.
Common Symptoms of Dry Eye:
> Blurry Vision
> Watery Eyes